Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Faux Frappuccinos

I have recently re-discovered the Starbuck's Frappuccino. I know many coffeehouse snobs turn up their nose at the idea, but I cannot deny my love for them. Sweet, cold, delicious coffee - perfect to begin a hot sunny day. They do, however, put quite the dent in the wallet. In order to slim down expenses, I decided to set myself up to make them at home. Cheap, easy, and best of all, I control the ingredients!

The only problem was, I didn't have a coffee maker! And those dern espresso machines are prohibitively expensive. I mean, someday it will be worth the investment, but that day is not today. As a compromise I purchased an inexpensive Bodum French Press. It's small, easy to use, and it makes a pretty decent faux espresso! Plus, it only cost the equivalent of three frappuccinos. Double win.

Tomorrow morning I plan on starting my day with a home made frappuccino. I brewed 8oz. of espresso coffee tonight, and froze plenty of ice cubes. Tomorrow I will pop the ingredients in the blender, add my fave vanilla almond milk and perhaps some almond extract. I can't wait to experiment with different flavors!

Thisfrench press might prove to be one of my favorite kitchen accessories.

Here is (my fvorite) Alton Brown explaining how to make a faux latte with a french press.

No comments: